Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Religious Experience: To a Doctor From Me

While I was at the hospital lobby. A doctor, which happens to be a 'christian', 'born again', I put them in quotation because I doubt they understand what Christian is and I doubt they know that 'born again' is a biblical term which they misunderstood and misused, whatever they call themselves, and a friend, greeted me and gave me a very distinct smile. Something very unusual for her. I followed to her clinic. As usual, they started with a prayer. Before the prayer, however, she joyfully told me about an experience her doctor friend had during their so-called 'Encounter With God'.
Her friend was asked by a whispering voice telling her to kneel. Her friend acknowledged that the voice came from "God". Then she told "God", I can't, there are many people around me. I am a doctor and many would see me kneel in this gathering. She opened her eyes and she told everyone that she saw an 'assembly of angels'.
Then we started our prayer. The doctor prayed for us to encounter God, just like her friend who encountered God through the angels. After the prayer, I told her. Wow, what a Religious Experience. She motioned toward me and said, "Change your mindset, God is not the God of Religion" I was very distressed. I said it unintentionally. For us "intellectuals", non-fanatic, and philosophers, such an experience could be labeled as Religious Experience or the Experience of the Holy.
I grinned out of embarrassment and left her clinic. Unable to explain and enlighten her fanatic and narrow thinking mind that Religious Experience is different from religion and from being religious. I stand to say that she is religious to the point of being fanatic that she believes that only the people who join her group, reads the bible will be saved. I say to her, The God of Isaac, Jacob, and Israel is a God of love and justice. A God for the believers and the non-believers, a God who transcends beyond religion. I do pray that God will open your mind and change your mindset, just as you have told me to change my mindset.
A Religious Experience is something that a limited entity experience of the Holy, Holy here is emphasized with the use of the capital H to signify the Being, the True, the Good, and the Holy, someone or something beyond the limited entity. An experience such as that, seeing an assembly of angels, if it was really true.
This happens to be the difficulty of philosophers in trying to pursue their quest for philosophizing and enlightening. As Socrates in his Socratic Dialogues would say that he was a 'midwife' he helps people to get out of their convention and go out like a baby coming out from the mother's womb.
I don't mind talking to her about her fanaticism and of her talking to me about her "God" because my God is different from your God.
May my God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Dropping By!