Sunday, July 20, 2008

Ahap Kuhap!

Ahap Kuhap is a Badjao translation of the word Good Day...

I wrote this article during the peak of my noble career. Just wanna share it with you guys...

The area is along the gates of the SRP (South Reclamation Project). The Badjao’s doesn’t have a descent home. They settle only under the comforts of their plastic tents or trapal. They used to have their houses along the shores of Mambaling but a fire took place last May and burned their houses, many died from drowning and sicknesses. The government planned to resettle them along the shores of Tongo Island, adjacent to Cebu city. Until now they are not transferred to the relocation site.

We started the apostolate with the help of ate Anne, Redemptorist lay worker. We opened it by helping her distribute the school supplies for the children. The children were eager and thankful for the supplies we gave. At that instance I dreamt a Badjao teacher, nurse, and a doctor. These are their dreams that they told me.

Every time I go to the area, I can see from afar the children running towards me bearing their smiles and laughter. I wave as I eagerly meet them and greet them Ahap Kuhap, which means Good Day! It’s heartwarming for me to hear them call me kuya. With a Muslim accent words they try to communicate with me.

Mariama and Jan-jan are my tutees. They meet me with their bags loaded with books and notebooks for the tutorials. I teach them more on Science, Math and English, which reminds me of my long forgotten elementary days.

As they open their books, it rings a bell in me of the great desire of the children to learn. I am an instrument by God to help the children succeed in their studies. I always encourage them to study hard for it is their key to progress.

Kuya naa ko’y assignment is the usual words I hear from them; words of inspiration coming from the mouths of the innocent children, words of encouragement to continue my vocation, and words that continuously remind me of the great mission lying ahead of us.

The Badjao Apostolate taught me to be a person for others: a person called to respond to the innumerable needs of the people.

A great dream lies ahead and the fulfillment of the dream is in need of dreamers, who dreamt not only for themselves but also for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Dropping By!