Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Photography: Revealed Again

Who would have thought that after years of forgetting photography and my passion to this art, I would have this rare chance of meeting Davao's premier photographer, Mr. Roland Jumawan. Last weekend he awakened the sleeping passion within. The passion that was gone. This may be a sign of something deep that is revealing again in my consciousness.

Long time ago, my grand father used to own a photo studio in Davao City. During those times, the studio was at its prime years. And so it was named Uno Studio. Meaning, number one or first. It was considered to be the best photo studio in town. Students from different schools had their graduation pictures taken from Uno Studio, prominent families had their family portrait taken in this best photo studio in town. With its glory, it was not far from its name.

That glory was contributed by my grand father who was a professional photographer, and so was my dad who happened to be his apprentice. The passion for this art runs through our blood. With their passion and knowledge in this business Uno Studio became the most famous photo studio in town. In the advent of the rise of innovation of colored photography, Uno Studio was competing very well in the market. My grand father invested on such printing machines thinking of good revenues from it. Unfortunately, during the late 80's, the studio was razed to ash from a fire that broke out. After that event, the business went bankrupt and everything fell down like the ashes gone by the wind. The family went to a series of financial crises and failed to open the studio again. Another occupant occupied the space. Since then the location of the studio is currently occupied by Mercury Drug in Claveria St. (C.M. Recto St.)

Except for the memories and the two set of analog SLR cameras complete with accessories, nothing was left. The Nikon SLR was given to my aunt, who kept it for years and with it was the memory of the glorious years of Uno Studio. My late grand father left a strong remark after he lost his eyesight not to sell the cameras. My aunt however, sold it to buy medicines for my ailing grand mother.

The Pentax SLR was given to my dad, who was an amateur photographer. He kept it for until he gave it to me last year 2001. He saw in me the blood of a photographer and taught me his secrets in photography. During those days, digital photography was not that famous. And so I sought for ways how to learn photography without spending a lot for developing and printing. And so I joined our school's organ. I went to attend seminars conducted by Mr. Rene Lumawag, premier and authority of photography in Davao City. Since then, I made private studies on the art, and after four years I left it.

I left it for good. I also lost the camera that was the symbol of our family enterprise. It was gone without a trace. My passion for photography went away with the loss of my SLR.

It takes one to know one, so does my friend say. A photographer understands his co-photographer. During that encounter with a pro, he told me that indeed photography runs in my blood. And so he awakened in me that passion again which I know that deep within me is the reality that this art runs through my veins. And I want to continue that legacy from my grand father and my dad. So this time, I'll be saving a fraction of my income to purchase a new SLR, this time a digital one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Dropping By!