Friday, July 10, 2009

Con Ti Partiro

Last July 7, 2009 the whole world bade farewell to the king of pop music. He was an icon, an institution and a genius. Yesterday, July 9, 2009, I bade farewell to a confidante. My friend Julius Martin Malacas, C.Ss.R. will be leaving the land of promise, Davao, tomorrow July 11, 2009 for a mission in Thailand.
Indeed, he is a genius. He is considered to be the King of Theater and Musicals in the congregation. He brought to life the brilliance of European Theater in the city bombarded with cultural patriotism in theater and in arts. And I am so proud to be one of his fellows, who experienced the magic and the thrill of theater. JM, I will miss you so much!
JM in his most celebrated Musicale, The Reluctant Saint, Davao City

Back in college, 6 years ago when I first met JM. He was wearing his famous bath robe walking around the corridors of St. Clement's dormitory. As a freshies I was hesitant to approach him, a senior collegian. But he offered his hand to me and said, "JM diay ko... ikaw..?" And that was the beginning of the never ending friendship between two souls.
Then I get to know him more better when we were both part of the most prestigious committee of the college, the Academics and Publications Committee. He congratulated me and said, "I knew you will be with us." I never failed that trust that he gave unto me. We formulated new laws and policies within the college, and we faced different criticisms from the collegians, but we prevailed. We sustained growth and stability in the academic formation of the collegians. And we were lauded as an outstanding committee in implemention and consitency of the plans and policies within the college.
I could not forget how he led us in preparing the chapel during our turn for the BCC of the week. We were very creative to the point of making a man-made forest within the chapel. We also made it possible to set up a mini library, and a computer in the chapel as a decoration to emphasize the sponsorship of the Academics and Publications Committee in the mass. Again we were criticized by many but lauded by the higher administration.
He graduated college With Praises, Cum Laude. And when they arrived from the USC Cultural Center, I congratulated him and he whispered to me, "Dapat Cum Laude sad ka mu graduate ha...?" I just smiled but it became an inspiration. In second year college, I became consistent Dean's Lister and I made it. I graduated Cum Laude. Thanks JM for the inspiration and the trust you gave me.
I left the Redemptorist formation, and returned to my home town. And he was there too. Two friends separated by distance is now together in one place. I started working and he was always there to help me in prayers.
The stories, the struggles and the joys that we have shared will always be remembered, will always be treasured in the deepest part of my heart. We used to go out on a Saturday night movie. We shared a cup of coffee while reminiscing the past, conversing our different philosophical views of life and spirituality.
I will really miss the times that we go on a walk in the park. JM is a type of person that values conversations, just plain and simple conversations. I invited him to go with me to coffee or tea, but he would refuse. He just wanted to sit beside the stairs of the convent and chat with me. I really appreciate how he expresses in actions the phrase the best things in life are free. Yes he showed me how to appreciate simple things in my complex world.
Me and JM in this rare photo shoot on the feast of the Perpetual Help 2009

When I am in need of a friend he is there. I could not forget the time when I was in a drastic need for a blood transfusion for my sister who fell ill. He was there from the beginning till the success of the treatment. He helped me in convincing a Thai brother, Bro. Ole, to donate a blood for my sister. It was a noble act. An act not surprising for a noble person like him.
Now JM, as you will embark on a new chapter of your mission, I continue to pray for you. I pray for you to experience more of what has life to offer you and to cultivate those experiences so you can share it to others in need.

For another time, distance will separate the friendship we shared. But I am hopeful that in your return that friendship will never fade.


Farewell great King...

You Will Always Be Remembered...

Arevederci...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Dropping By!