Saturday, December 25, 2010

Finding Joy In this Season

December last year, it was the last day of work before our Christmas break. On a bright sunny morning I was driving my car at a moderate speed on my way to our year end meeting. Just a block before our meeting place, I crossed an intersection when suddenly my car was hit by a fast approaching SUV. It was horrible. I could imagine myself as an actor of a movie when my car immediately turned three sixty degrees. Terrified I just held the steering wheel tightly, maneuvered quickly to avoid falling in a nearby canal.

I was trembling. Afraid and teary eyed. I stepped out and confronted the driver of the SUV. I yelled at him and blamed him for the accident. I called some of my counterparts and my immediate supervisor for rescue. Somebody called 911 and emergency ambulance went into the scene. Everybody was horrified by the amount of disaster that took place in that silent subdivision intersection. I was disoriented. The police came and conducted traffic investigation. He asked for my driver's license. I checked in the dash and found it missing. I checked my wallet and it was not there. In other words, my driver's license was lost. I could not provide my driver's license to the investigator. In the simplest term, I was driving without license.

So much to say about this experience. My December 2009 was traumatic. I went to attend mass, on a regular weekday. The priest was giving a sermon when he said that we should find joy, like the baby in the womb of Elizabeth who leaped with joy upon knowing Mary is conceiving the Messiah. It was a relief for me to hear those words. That was fitting for my situation. I was asking the Lord why it happened to me. Instead of giving me joy in that season, I ended up paying a huge amount for the repair of 'edwin', my car. I ended up broke. I was supposed to go shopping after that meeting to buy gifts for others and most specially for my precious self. I asked the Lord and he gave me that answer.

When I think that I have the greatest problem in the world, I simply look at others. Then I can say that indeed I am still blessed because I do not possess the problems that they have. Some even lost a loved one, lost their homes out of fire, experienced calamities and yet they ended up strong, standing up, remaining hopeful that they can recover.

That incident helped me realize that there are a lot of people around me who is willing to help, support, and most especially love me. They were just there waiting for me. It taught me to bu humble, to think that what I possess can easily be removed even in an instant. Finally it taught me to be joyful. Indeed I should be joyful. Joyfully waiting for the coming of my Christ. This Christmas, a year after that accident, my prayer is for me to constantly be joyful amidst the trials and circumstances that I face each day.

Soon I will shout: My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord. My spirit rejoices in God my Savior!

2 comments:

  1. what took you so long to blog about the incident? finally recovered i guess.
    nice one, instead of blaming God for the bad situation. not all people are like you. You're an example we can be proud of. and a survivor at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @petit: hehehe. thanks doc tansan... hehe. I was about to write an account of it, but it was traumatic that even my hands couldn't write a blog about it.. for now everything's okay..

    ReplyDelete

Just Dropping By!